Wednesday 3 October 2012

Back at the dinner table - with no sugar

It has been months since I last posted. I have been so busy that sitting down to write has been quite difficult. I have taken lots of photos of food that I have created/eaten in that time, intending to post it, but haven't got there. Let's see how we go now.

One of the biggest things that has happened in my eating lately has been going sugar free. This was a huge thing for me. I made the decision on Sunday 5th August, after my husband told me about the book "Sweet Poison" by David Gillespie. I have been struggling with my weight for some time now, and also with self control, which obviously has a big impact on weight. So I spent most of that night awake stressed and panicky about all the foods I would have to give up - every time I started to drift off I would think of something else and jerk awake again. Chocolate, shortbread, caramel slice, gingerbread lattes, icecream - it was a very long night! I woke up fairly despondent, and couldn't see how this was going to work.

I have to say, I was fairly skeptical about the impact it would have. I hoped it would help with weight loss - I wasn't sure how much. I had heard that it helped with appetite control - I wasn't sure that this would actually happen. I wanted it too, but didn't think it would. Well, I was astonished. Within two weeks I was losing weight, eating far less, not feeling at all hungry, and not desiring sugar. I used to eat heaps. Now I have a small breakfast, then I'm fine till lunch. I have a much smaller lunch than I used to, then don't feel hungry till dinner. My dinner serving is quite small and I rarely feel like dessert. When I see chocolate, cake, icecream, I don't get tempted to eat it - in large part because I am usually feeling too full.

This is not to say that I am never eating sugar again. I have a few areas of concern with David Gillespie's book. Firstly, I don't think he understands physiology, or clinical medicine for that matter, and some of the research he has taken out of context. Secondly, I don't agree with his idea that you can eat as much glucose as you want, or fat for that matter. I certainly don't agree with the way he seems to think that exercise is at best unnecessary and at worst bad for you. I think that he has developed a bit of tunnel vision, where fructose is the source of all problems and nothing else that you do matters, as long as you don't eat fructose. I also think that he is a bit too fanatical about it all - he calls himself a "recovering sugarholic". I do not take the view that never again shall a grain of sugar cross my lips. Alcohol is bad if you drink too much - a little is okay. The same goes for fructose. The odd slice of cake or piece of chocolate will not make me keel over and die. It is important to stress though that I am talking about the odd slice - not every day. Since I stopped eating sugar I have had one slice of cake (made with stevia, but sugar sprinkled on top), half a slice of mango cheesecake (shared with my grandmother), a tiny bowl of custard (at a thermomix demo), and 2 strawberries and a piece of almond finger dipped in chocolate (at a party with a chocolate fountain). That's pretty much it, apart from what is in fresh fruit (mostly berries) and the odd bits in processed food, though that is fairly limited.

I haven't baked much in that time, but I will - I've just been busy. I'll just give it away to other people. I'm sure they won't mind =)

Christmas will be the test. If I remain basically sugar free over Christmas, I can see it being a lifelong change. We'll see how we go.

Has anyone else given up sugar? Post a comment and let me know how you have found it! Don't want to or don't think you could? Tell me about that too. I'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment